Skip to main content

More of the Swamp.

Ok, so to explain the title of this little blog. Nature and greenery in particular have fascinated me since I was a child, from finding field mice in the corn fields behind our families village home when I was 4 to climbing trees and skimming stones in ponds until well into my teens. I've had a strong fascination with nature. In fact upon travelling to Spain I recall being particular pleased just to see the colour green again. I think if I were to leave England I wouldn't be able to be too far from nature or I might lose myself. And so 'Into the Swamp'

Sure it could be into the forest, but this is about art, about losing yourself in a gritty place full of grime and dank. Those who view art as being some sort of beautiful thing with untouched beauty have never experienced creating it themselves. It's a tough ordeal where the thicker your skin is the better, you have to persevere through the good and bad and never stop pushing for fear of being left behind. And so the blog itself is in itself a representation of a journey through the dank dark places of art. The further into the swamp you go the slimier it gets but the more treasure and self discovery you will find along the way.

Anyway, enough of a personal tangent. What inspired my description was actually a new sketch I've been working on. The Greeks were well known for their abilty to make anything sexy; horses? Make them centaurs, fish? Make them mermaids Trees? Make them dryads. But not all of them were good little spirits who would guide safe travellers, many were malevolent and used their charms to seduce men into their doom.

My favourites of the nature spirits have always been forest nymphs, but I also have something of a soft spot to water nymphs, also known as Naiads. Gazing upon men from within their watery home, their divine forms entrancing them.

The iamge obviously still needs work, but I'm actualy quite excited with how it will turn out. The contrast between the beauty of a Naiad and her seduction to the clear ill harm behind her alluring figure.

Anyway enough rant from me now. More to be updated soon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monster Hunter Design - Oryctomus (Creature)

So recently I had spent some time asking for portfolio reviews. One criticism I had was that not much of my designs seemed clean enough for modellers to use. I was guided towards the Monster Hunter artbooks (ones I already owned a loved), and was told they had very good examples of clean work, and excellent design.

With this I decided to kill several birds with one stone. Getting clean work, turnarounds, and also one character and creature design out of it. For this post however I'll be focusing mostly on the creature, as before you can build the armour for Monster Hunter, you must have a monster to carve its hide from. (If you want to skip this and go to the armour however, just click the following link: Oryctomus Armour)

I began by sketching down some general shapes for the monster. My original idea was to have a more mammalian design, as much of the creature in Monster Hunter are typically Reptilian. Perhaps something along the lines of an Aardvark or Anteater.


Once I had a …

Terryl Whitlatch Creature Course #1

I recently signed up to a creature design course hosted by Terryl Whitlatch on Schoolism. I'm a huge fan of Terryl's work, so it'll be interesting to see how I develop my creature work whilst on her course.

These should be weekly updates, and this week's topic was to try and get a grasp of the fundamentals of creature design. So our challenge was to draw a human, a tetrapod, and a human/animal hybrid. Then break those down by rig, skeleton and musculature and label each.

Here's what I came up with:

Armour Studies & Material Spheres

I decided to spend some of my spare time the last few weeks doing some armour studies. This had initially started as just a bit of practice on the side, but after some really positive feedback and some requests for a tutorial I ended up making an entire collection of texture spheres and cleaned up a lot of the studies so people could better understand how to paint these types of things too.


Firstly we have the finished studies themselves. I had tried gathering a few different types of armour specifically to understand both their design, and their material properties, so we have things from clean plate mail to tanned leather and rusted metal.








These took some time on their own, but I then decided to create material spheres for as select few textures.

For those of you who haven't come across material spheres before, they are used as a way of studying and showing how light works on various types of textures, it gives you all the variables of having a strong focal light, secondary ligh…