Skip to main content

C.O.W. #260 - The Cute Fuzzy Bombs

From now on I think I'm going to try limiting each post to certain topics, such as sketch updates and certain designs. Designs like this one.

The Cute Fuzzy Bombs

Designed for another C.O.W (creature of the week) competition held on the Conceptart.org forums, this weeks topic was to create a creature that filled the following requirements:

- The creature must be small and furry. no larger than an average rabbit. and should be very cute looking!

- The creature must have a way of exploding. ( doesn't have to be realistic, get creative!)

- If you can also show it exploding you get extra credit ( which just means you get everyone saying "hey dude way to do something cool! hahaha!) 

 These are the quick sketches I did to try and get an idea of the kind of creature I wanted to create:


As you can see the design quickly formed itself into a squirrel like creature, designs based on the frogs and penguins seemed adorable, but for the purpose of a creature that is designed to explode it seemed more of a hindrance. I wanted to create a creature that was agile enough to reach it's target before exploding, and so I stuck with the following sketch:



 It was then time to tidy it up, get some patterns in and actually make it look like a creature:


The critique I received from the previous sketch, (whilst cute to me) seemed to imply that it was less than adorable to some others. So I decided to try reducing the head size, increase the forehead and eyes similar to a baby, add some weight to it and further define the fur.

With the actual creature now designed it was time to really show it off, a portrait view of the critter was uninspiring and it needed to really leap out of the image.


This was created shortly after a few thumbnails were sketched, it had a very clear composition and it seemed as though you could have just stumbled across the little guy. I then started to really flesh him out and define the image.


I first started giving the image it's value, avoiding strong highlights as these could be added later with less fuss, I really just wanted to clean it up, add focal points, I even added more detail to the camouflage it might use, utilising a Deer's speckles and enlarging a few for something unique, something I'd imagine may possibly look like eyes in the darkness.


Then I added some colour using the above image as a multiply layer, the creature stood out as the focus of the image, it felt like the colours hadn't been balanced enough though.


I decided to add some blue to try and cool the colour scheme of the image down, added detail to the fur and a secondary light source. It was time to try creating a short storyboard to show how it's explosive ability would actually come in useful in it's every day life.


While this did show how useful its ability to explode is to its society as a whole, it seemed incredibly rough in comparison to the image, if I combined this it would drag down the quality of the design over all. After looking through other examples of how artists on Conceptart have subtly explained their designs I eventually came up with...


This was a very simple, very easy to read explanation of the creatures ability and defined the explosion as being similar to a water bomb, no fire just a large pop.

It just needed some last minute tweaks now, some more focus on the creature and more detailed fur in places. The end result finally ended up looking like this:


Description

The Squineeks

Living in the treetops of the Kaloa province, these adorable creatures have gained a fearful reputation despite their welcoming appearance. Breeding in excess, their population is only kept in check by their natural defence capability. When threatened by a predator members of the group will valiantly run, dive and jump onto their would be attackers before quickly inflating and exploding in a shower of blood as deadly acid. This agonisingly maims and more often than not, kills the predator serving as a warning to other creatures nearby to steer clear of the Squineeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monster Hunter Design - Oryctomus (Creature)

So recently I had spent some time asking for portfolio reviews. One criticism I had was that not much of my designs seemed clean enough for modellers to use. I was guided towards the Monster Hunter artbooks (ones I already owned a loved), and was told they had very good examples of clean work, and excellent design.

With this I decided to kill several birds with one stone. Getting clean work, turnarounds, and also one character and creature design out of it. For this post however I'll be focusing mostly on the creature, as before you can build the armour for Monster Hunter, you must have a monster to carve its hide from. (If you want to skip this and go to the armour however, just click the following link: Oryctomus Armour)

I began by sketching down some general shapes for the monster. My original idea was to have a more mammalian design, as much of the creature in Monster Hunter are typically Reptilian. Perhaps something along the lines of an Aardvark or Anteater.


Once I had a …

Terryl Whitlatch Creature Course #1

I recently signed up to a creature design course hosted by Terryl Whitlatch on Schoolism. I'm a huge fan of Terryl's work, so it'll be interesting to see how I develop my creature work whilst on her course.

These should be weekly updates, and this week's topic was to try and get a grasp of the fundamentals of creature design. So our challenge was to draw a human, a tetrapod, and a human/animal hybrid. Then break those down by rig, skeleton and musculature and label each.

Here's what I came up with:

Armour Studies & Material Spheres

I decided to spend some of my spare time the last few weeks doing some armour studies. This had initially started as just a bit of practice on the side, but after some really positive feedback and some requests for a tutorial I ended up making an entire collection of texture spheres and cleaned up a lot of the studies so people could better understand how to paint these types of things too.


Firstly we have the finished studies themselves. I had tried gathering a few different types of armour specifically to understand both their design, and their material properties, so we have things from clean plate mail to tanned leather and rusted metal.








These took some time on their own, but I then decided to create material spheres for as select few textures.

For those of you who haven't come across material spheres before, they are used as a way of studying and showing how light works on various types of textures, it gives you all the variables of having a strong focal light, secondary ligh…