Skip to main content

The Triclops

As the holidays loomed upon me and university work had taken a shift to less important topics I felt it was time to get back into the swing of the creature contests I used to enter some months ago. My choice was to enter CGHubs 'Triclops' competition with the following brief:

'The triclops' primary sense is the 3 eyes it has. It is a nocturnal little creature that gets frightened easily, so it spends much of its time looking around for predators before making any type of move. It is a quadruped with 2 smaller limbs used to handle food. (6 limbs total) All other physical traits are up to you.'

And so I went about creating sketches.


For these I simply tried to get a full range of designs. The largest problem however is the complete lack of any animals within the entire earths ecosystem with a need to have 3 eyes, all necessities such as a wider field of vision can be attained with developments like a rectangular iris, similar to a goats. Not to mention the 6 limbs, 6 limbs is something only insects have and that is purely because of how light they are for them. If an animal developed 6 limbs in the natural world it would be so weighed down I wouldn't expect it to last 2 months sadly. Still, with that in mind I decided to stick with my initial design, a more insect like creature.


For the creature I looked art a mixture of animals, the idea was to make it more of a prey animal, and so creatures like rabbits, triceratops and horses heavily influeced it's design. However after much discussion with other artists on forums it was decided that a more front on view was needed to really portray it's 3 eyes.
 
 
However at this stage more emphasis was on the ears than the actual creature. Naturally this wasn't the reaction I intended or wanted, and so the following design was made.
 

Now was time to refine the design and colour it in, however this turned out to be a much harder task than I had anticipated. I tried both a Value>Colour route:


And a straight to final painting route:


Luckily after some tests It turned out a nice combination of the two worked out pretty nice, colours on first, and then value to correct the subtle mistakes. Resulting in:


The Triclops

The Triclops lives in a vast desert; almost entirely barren, the only signs of life either being the Triclops herds themselves, the beasts that hunt them, and the sparse patches of vegetation.

It has evolved an interesting way to interpret wavelengths using it's unusual number of eyes. The one at the front of it's skull views in ultraviolet, making vegetation stand out amongst the arid desert, whilst the two at the side keep a constant vigil for predators. Should one be spotted their antennae glow in a spectrum invisible to the majority of their predators, warning the rest of the herd.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monster Hunter Design - Oryctomus (Creature)

So recently I had spent some time asking for portfolio reviews. One criticism I had was that not much of my designs seemed clean enough for modellers to use. I was guided towards the Monster Hunter artbooks (ones I already owned a loved), and was told they had very good examples of clean work, and excellent design.

With this I decided to kill several birds with one stone. Getting clean work, turnarounds, and also one character and creature design out of it. For this post however I'll be focusing mostly on the creature, as before you can build the armour for Monster Hunter, you must have a monster to carve its hide from. (If you want to skip this and go to the armour however, just click the following link: Oryctomus Armour)

I began by sketching down some general shapes for the monster. My original idea was to have a more mammalian design, as much of the creature in Monster Hunter are typically Reptilian. Perhaps something along the lines of an Aardvark or Anteater.


Once I had a …

Armour Studies & Material Spheres

I decided to spend some of my spare time the last few weeks doing some armour studies. This had initially started as just a bit of practice on the side, but after some really positive feedback and some requests for a tutorial I ended up making an entire collection of texture spheres and cleaned up a lot of the studies so people could better understand how to paint these types of things too.


Firstly we have the finished studies themselves. I had tried gathering a few different types of armour specifically to understand both their design, and their material properties, so we have things from clean plate mail to tanned leather and rusted metal.








These took some time on their own, but I then decided to create material spheres for as select few textures.

For those of you who haven't come across material spheres before, they are used as a way of studying and showing how light works on various types of textures, it gives you all the variables of having a strong focal light, secondary ligh…

Monster Hunter Design - Oryctomus (Armour)

Following on from the previous post about my recent Monster Hunter design (which can be found here: Oryctomus Design), I'll be focusing this post on the armour made from this creatures hide.



The armours in Monster Hunter take on the characteristics of the monster they're created from. Some are more obvious than others in their designs, but each either feature some design element from the monster itself, or a representation of how that monster attacks. The armours also come in two variations, Blademaster and Gunner.

Blademaster is heavier armour, used for high defense, and almost always looks sturdier than the Gunner variation.

The Gunner variation uses more stylistic aspects and often has weaker armour, used mostly for long range characters who'd rather not get up close and personal with a monster.

I began sketching designs for both gunner and blademaster variations, both male and female.





As you can see, the focal point I had used for these designs was the Oryctomus' s…