Skip to main content

Realistic Pokemon

So with our final life drawing project underway we've been asked to find artists work we admire and imitate them. This work is based off of Arvalis' (Advalis' dA) realistic Pokemon work. Whilst he has done some lovely artwork otherwise it's his Pokemon work that caught a lot of people attention.

I chose Blaziken because, let's face it, he's pretty awesome. Also it's a Pokemon I like that hasn't been done by Arvalis before and I haven't drawn him to death like the others. (Golduck)


I always felt like blaziken reminded me of Secretary Birds, or Bearded Vultures. If you have heard of these before I highly suggest looking them up, not only are they beautiful birds, they are fascinating. Secretary birds are known for crushing the skulls of their prey with their feet, and Bearded Vultures actually smash the bones of their prey to bits in order to eat them. Seems like a perfect fit for Blaziken!
Secretary Bird

Bearded Vulture



         
I started off by doing a quick drawing of how I wanted Blaziken to be posed using Martial arts stances



Once I had this figured out it was time to start fleshing him out. Usually I'd be less careful here, just clean up what I had done previously, but following closer to Arvalis' work I decided to try a cleaner approach to line art.



Now here I started using masks. For those new to digital art I cannot understate how useful masks are, and I feel I should really use them more than I currently do, however for this, with this detail it worked out perfectly, allowing me to plaint without worrying about keeping it clean.




As you can see it really allows you to keep your work clean.

Now here I just started using orange paints on overlay layers to give off the light from the fire wrists, countered with a dark purple/blue for the shadows for colour balance.






Now don't be afraid to play with the levels or the colour balance, these things show flaws in your work and allow you to quickly correct them. Just be sure to pay attention to what's going wrong so you can better learn from it.


As you can see the previous image had far too much warmth, the blue allows more attention to focus on the fire and makes the character stand out more.




And now we have the final product.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monster Hunter Design - Oryctomus (Creature)

So recently I had spent some time asking for portfolio reviews. One criticism I had was that not much of my designs seemed clean enough for modellers to use. I was guided towards the Monster Hunter artbooks (ones I already owned a loved), and was told they had very good examples of clean work, and excellent design.

With this I decided to kill several birds with one stone. Getting clean work, turnarounds, and also one character and creature design out of it. For this post however I'll be focusing mostly on the creature, as before you can build the armour for Monster Hunter, you must have a monster to carve its hide from. (If you want to skip this and go to the armour however, just click the following link: Oryctomus Armour)

I began by sketching down some general shapes for the monster. My original idea was to have a more mammalian design, as much of the creature in Monster Hunter are typically Reptilian. Perhaps something along the lines of an Aardvark or Anteater.


Once I had a …

Terryl Whitlatch Creature Course #1

I recently signed up to a creature design course hosted by Terryl Whitlatch on Schoolism. I'm a huge fan of Terryl's work, so it'll be interesting to see how I develop my creature work whilst on her course.

These should be weekly updates, and this week's topic was to try and get a grasp of the fundamentals of creature design. So our challenge was to draw a human, a tetrapod, and a human/animal hybrid. Then break those down by rig, skeleton and musculature and label each.

Here's what I came up with:

Armour Studies & Material Spheres

I decided to spend some of my spare time the last few weeks doing some armour studies. This had initially started as just a bit of practice on the side, but after some really positive feedback and some requests for a tutorial I ended up making an entire collection of texture spheres and cleaned up a lot of the studies so people could better understand how to paint these types of things too.


Firstly we have the finished studies themselves. I had tried gathering a few different types of armour specifically to understand both their design, and their material properties, so we have things from clean plate mail to tanned leather and rusted metal.








These took some time on their own, but I then decided to create material spheres for as select few textures.

For those of you who haven't come across material spheres before, they are used as a way of studying and showing how light works on various types of textures, it gives you all the variables of having a strong focal light, secondary ligh…