Skip to main content

Android Bot Project Part 1

So for the first project of the final year of my BA in Computer Animation I've joined a team creating a small commercial for the new Android update, 'Android L'. I've been taken on as the artist/modeller and so my tasks are to create the concept art, the storyboards and the modelling of the assets. With that said; our project directors detailed their idea for the small '10-30 second commercial' that our brief requires. Our aim is to create a small robot that resembles the Android logo, to use him as an example of the new OS' powers and have him showcase it's usefulness in daily life. My goal was to make him as advanced as I could get, without making him look too unfriendly, I came up with the following sketches:
After reviewing the concept sketches I designed we decided to focus these, possibly mixing and matching some parts we liked on individual designs and seeing they were a better fit.
Following this we had class tutorials, pitches where we presented our work to the class in an attempt to spot flaws we had missed ourselves. It was during this we were told that its 'mechanical' nature came off as intimidating and not quite the look we were going for. And so more emphasis on it's curves was needed. I looked especially at designs like E.V.E. from Wall-E and it's smooth sleek curves as inspiration for some slight design tweaks.
Personally, I was a fan of the designs where the arms were merely floating from the Androids body. I feel like it's round design and it's disjointed limbs better reflected both the 'new' look we were going for, and the cute friendly appearance we were going for. The team ended up deciding on a slightly different variation however and so I progressed on with the turnarounds in the run up to modelling.
Something was still missing however, we needed a way for the little Android to define expression clearly and quickly, without compromising it's design. Whilst adverts have used approaches such as:
We decided to go with a slightly different approach, below is a quick comparison:
Now with the Android ready it was time to begin modelling:
The basics are under way, and so now begins getting the model ready, as well as the story boards.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monster Hunter Design - Oryctomus (Creature)

So recently I had spent some time asking for portfolio reviews. One criticism I had was that not much of my designs seemed clean enough for modellers to use. I was guided towards the Monster Hunter artbooks (ones I already owned a loved), and was told they had very good examples of clean work, and excellent design.

With this I decided to kill several birds with one stone. Getting clean work, turnarounds, and also one character and creature design out of it. For this post however I'll be focusing mostly on the creature, as before you can build the armour for Monster Hunter, you must have a monster to carve its hide from. (If you want to skip this and go to the armour however, just click the following link: Oryctomus Armour)

I began by sketching down some general shapes for the monster. My original idea was to have a more mammalian design, as much of the creature in Monster Hunter are typically Reptilian. Perhaps something along the lines of an Aardvark or Anteater.


Once I had a …

Terryl Whitlatch Creature Course #1

I recently signed up to a creature design course hosted by Terryl Whitlatch on Schoolism. I'm a huge fan of Terryl's work, so it'll be interesting to see how I develop my creature work whilst on her course.

These should be weekly updates, and this week's topic was to try and get a grasp of the fundamentals of creature design. So our challenge was to draw a human, a tetrapod, and a human/animal hybrid. Then break those down by rig, skeleton and musculature and label each.

Here's what I came up with:

Armour Studies & Material Spheres

I decided to spend some of my spare time the last few weeks doing some armour studies. This had initially started as just a bit of practice on the side, but after some really positive feedback and some requests for a tutorial I ended up making an entire collection of texture spheres and cleaned up a lot of the studies so people could better understand how to paint these types of things too.


Firstly we have the finished studies themselves. I had tried gathering a few different types of armour specifically to understand both their design, and their material properties, so we have things from clean plate mail to tanned leather and rusted metal.








These took some time on their own, but I then decided to create material spheres for as select few textures.

For those of you who haven't come across material spheres before, they are used as a way of studying and showing how light works on various types of textures, it gives you all the variables of having a strong focal light, secondary ligh…