Skip to main content

Weekly Update #1: Edges - Hard and Soft.

Since the last update I've attempted to make our model transfer easily into Zbrush so I can easily texture and create a very smooth version of our model. The only problem however is hard edged modelling is not something I've done very often. I'm aware of the technicalities of it, the neccessity of many faces in order to stop Zbrush from smoothing out the edges. And so we have the latest development with the Android robot.
Above we have the model as it was from the previous posts, transferred directly into Zbrush. Once it's been divided however it is quickly smoothed out to create an object with no distinct areas:
So I went right back to the model in Maya. Following the edges I needed to be more distinct I began beveling the object and creating what I hoped would be a much harder edge in Zbrush:
The result was successful for the most part! Many edges had now become much more distinct and it felt like a much better high poly product.
However; as you can see, there is some definite problem with the front screen on the Androids chest. I designed these two be two separate Objects so that a texture could be placed in this area directly onto the Android, and it would have a clear glass sheet over it, better replicating the design of an actual phone. for now however it's proving to be difficult to get a smooth clean result with those hard edges. They seem to either be smoothed, or broken. I'm yet to find a solution but we'll see how it progresses next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monster Hunter Design - Oryctomus (Armour)

Following on from the previous post about my recent Monster Hunter design (which can be found here: Oryctomus Design), I'll be focusing this post on the armour made from this creatures hide.



The armours in Monster Hunter take on the characteristics of the monster they're created from. Some are more obvious than others in their designs, but each either feature some design element from the monster itself, or a representation of how that monster attacks. The armours also come in two variations, Blademaster and Gunner.

Blademaster is heavier armour, used for high defense, and almost always looks sturdier than the Gunner variation.

The Gunner variation uses more stylistic aspects and often has weaker armour, used mostly for long range characters who'd rather not get up close and personal with a monster.

I began sketching designs for both gunner and blademaster variations, both male and female.





As you can see, the focal point I had used for these designs was the Oryctomus' s…

Monster Hunter Design - Oryctomus (Creature)

So recently I had spent some time asking for portfolio reviews. One criticism I had was that not much of my designs seemed clean enough for modellers to use. I was guided towards the Monster Hunter artbooks (ones I already owned a loved), and was told they had very good examples of clean work, and excellent design.

With this I decided to kill several birds with one stone. Getting clean work, turnarounds, and also one character and creature design out of it. For this post however I'll be focusing mostly on the creature, as before you can build the armour for Monster Hunter, you must have a monster to carve its hide from. (If you want to skip this and go to the armour however, just click the following link: Oryctomus Armour)

I began by sketching down some general shapes for the monster. My original idea was to have a more mammalian design, as much of the creature in Monster Hunter are typically Reptilian. Perhaps something along the lines of an Aardvark or Anteater.


Once I had a …

Terryl Whitlatch Creature Course #1

I recently signed up to a creature design course hosted by Terryl Whitlatch on Schoolism. I'm a huge fan of Terryl's work, so it'll be interesting to see how I develop my creature work whilst on her course.

These should be weekly updates, and this week's topic was to try and get a grasp of the fundamentals of creature design. So our challenge was to draw a human, a tetrapod, and a human/animal hybrid. Then break those down by rig, skeleton and musculature and label each.

Here's what I came up with: