Skip to main content

Weekly Update #7: Presentations and Storyboards

This week has all been about preparation. With my few sketches I needed to prepare a presentation for the rest of my class in an attempt to try and gather some other artists, animators and TD's to make what was only an idea in my head into a fully functional short film. What made this more terrifying was knowing that there were other projects out there that I knew were great animation fodder. One project was purely about different dancing styles, and I knew this work would be amazing on an animators portfolio. I began to worry that I wouldn't receive either the number of animators I wanted or have the level of talent I knew the year was capable of. I quickly made a presentation in order to try and give everybody what they wanted. I wanted a short film and opportunities to make stylized assets, and I knew others wanted good work for their portfolio. And so this is what I pitched: I was surprised by the amount of positive feedback I received. almost instantly I had animators asking for work, sadly no TD's have come forward at this point, and I'm still currently the only artist. But what I knew I needed was an animation director as the technicalities of animation escape me and I've learnt to be aware of what you don't know. Luckily an animator called Charlotte Mosey stepped forward and was interested in leading the animation of the project. Both Charlotte and Kathryn Chandler are people I have been friends with since the course started and I knew well of what they were capable of, and to have them both join the project has helped qualm my doubts significantly. Since then we've trimmed down the story, changed some storyboards, removed some assets due to the lack of artists but we're up and running. We're setting animation times aside and making sure animators get the work they need, and I've spent my time perfecting the storyboards and animatics. With our animator to artist ration so unbalanced I've decided to write a scene or two, as well as some other elements that can be added to the final production should more artists step forward in time. But for now I laid down a set of ground rules for what I wanted the story to be: 1. There has to be a main character with her own monsters 2. There has to be an 'Alpha' creature somewhere at the end of the short. 3. It should be kept to roughly 1-1:30 minutes. I'm saddened that I can't add a battle scene, or just a way of showing our main creature fighting or breathing for or something! But we've written down our constraints, made sure we can create a project with the assets we have, and that everything runs smoothly. We can always add later, but we think it's best not to overshoot our goals and fail to deliver. For now I'll simply describe what happens as the roughness of my sketches as well as a lack of sound may leave them illegible. We see our character and monster running through a forest, they come to a clearing and the woman begins tracking some footsteps as our monster goes to investigate a strange rock formation in the ground. The woman notices the tracks stop abruptly, but as she does the monster touches the rocks out of curiosity and they rumble and burst out the ground slightly, and in its fear it runs into the woman. She begins having a tiff at the monster for running her over, and they start to argue, both growling at one another, getting louder and louder, until a mighty roar can be heard. They are both scared and checking the clearing before being engulfed by the shadow of a gigantic monster. So here's our animatic:

Alpha Storyboard Test1 from Sam Cullum on Vimeo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monster Hunter Design - Oryctomus (Creature)

So recently I had spent some time asking for portfolio reviews. One criticism I had was that not much of my designs seemed clean enough for modellers to use. I was guided towards the Monster Hunter artbooks (ones I already owned a loved), and was told they had very good examples of clean work, and excellent design.

With this I decided to kill several birds with one stone. Getting clean work, turnarounds, and also one character and creature design out of it. For this post however I'll be focusing mostly on the creature, as before you can build the armour for Monster Hunter, you must have a monster to carve its hide from. (If you want to skip this and go to the armour however, just click the following link: Oryctomus Armour)

I began by sketching down some general shapes for the monster. My original idea was to have a more mammalian design, as much of the creature in Monster Hunter are typically Reptilian. Perhaps something along the lines of an Aardvark or Anteater.


Once I had a …

Terryl Whitlatch Creature Course #1

I recently signed up to a creature design course hosted by Terryl Whitlatch on Schoolism. I'm a huge fan of Terryl's work, so it'll be interesting to see how I develop my creature work whilst on her course.

These should be weekly updates, and this week's topic was to try and get a grasp of the fundamentals of creature design. So our challenge was to draw a human, a tetrapod, and a human/animal hybrid. Then break those down by rig, skeleton and musculature and label each.

Here's what I came up with:

Armour Studies & Material Spheres

I decided to spend some of my spare time the last few weeks doing some armour studies. This had initially started as just a bit of practice on the side, but after some really positive feedback and some requests for a tutorial I ended up making an entire collection of texture spheres and cleaned up a lot of the studies so people could better understand how to paint these types of things too.


Firstly we have the finished studies themselves. I had tried gathering a few different types of armour specifically to understand both their design, and their material properties, so we have things from clean plate mail to tanned leather and rusted metal.








These took some time on their own, but I then decided to create material spheres for as select few textures.

For those of you who haven't come across material spheres before, they are used as a way of studying and showing how light works on various types of textures, it gives you all the variables of having a strong focal light, secondary ligh…