Skip to main content

Weekly Update #12: Starting Fur

I began this week by working on some assets for Alphas production that had not yet been spoken for. Because of our limited artist supply both our environment and story assets were suffering slightly. We currently have enough full time artists to create our main characters and a small array of props such as trees etc, but items that are essential to the production, such as the book our character reads during the short, or the spikes that cause alarm to our creature are currently in a grey area. My choice is about whether we can afford to put such prime assets in the hands of our second year students, or if I should adjust my schedule and instead try to create them myself. Right now it's split between both and I've taken command of some whilst I guide the spike production from the hands of one of our second year artists. This week it's the book:
I quickly drew up some early sketches, trying to focus more on a magical tome style of book to fit in more with the production.
I then worked up my sketches to make them more presentable to everyone. Once we selected a few to narrow down our choices I then made more variations using more slight adjustments to make sure we had something we wanted.
Once I picked a final design for the book I decided to make a quick turnaround for it and make a mock up in Maya.
The mock up has currently been sent to a rigger in order to make sure that the current prop can deform in the way it needs to and I'll update this blog on it further as it continues. This week also saw the production of our monster who has yet to be named. Taking into account the nature of the creature's natural posture he had to be sculpted in a way that was slightly unnatural, but would allow for the correct deformation when he eventually becomes rigged and animatable. I had originally attempted to begin working on him by starting his sculpt in Zbrush as opposed to the Maya beginning our character Keeva had. But after spending a short amount of time on this pipeline I found his low poly version to be lacking the precision I had aimed to have. Luckily I was already a few days ahead of schedule and could afford to experiment, at least this way I knew I was taking the correct steps to achieve the model I wanted. I then spent some time creating a my low poly in Maya, getting the correct poly count and loopflow I had wanted. It was more fiddly than Zbrush and slightly slower, but the result was exactly how I had wanted it.
After throwing this creature into Zbrush I then experimented with techniques like creating Alpha swirls in order to plan out where it's swirly tufts of fur might protrude. Those experiments however resulted in some lack luster sculpts, and once again, I decided to take my time and begin to work slowly into the work to allow the detail I had wanted. This production has only just started but this is the result so far:
And that's it for this week!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monster Hunter Design - Oryctomus (Creature)

So recently I had spent some time asking for portfolio reviews. One criticism I had was that not much of my designs seemed clean enough for modellers to use. I was guided towards the Monster Hunter artbooks (ones I already owned a loved), and was told they had very good examples of clean work, and excellent design.

With this I decided to kill several birds with one stone. Getting clean work, turnarounds, and also one character and creature design out of it. For this post however I'll be focusing mostly on the creature, as before you can build the armour for Monster Hunter, you must have a monster to carve its hide from. (If you want to skip this and go to the armour however, just click the following link: Oryctomus Armour)

I began by sketching down some general shapes for the monster. My original idea was to have a more mammalian design, as much of the creature in Monster Hunter are typically Reptilian. Perhaps something along the lines of an Aardvark or Anteater.


Once I had a …

Terryl Whitlatch Creature Course #1

I recently signed up to a creature design course hosted by Terryl Whitlatch on Schoolism. I'm a huge fan of Terryl's work, so it'll be interesting to see how I develop my creature work whilst on her course.

These should be weekly updates, and this week's topic was to try and get a grasp of the fundamentals of creature design. So our challenge was to draw a human, a tetrapod, and a human/animal hybrid. Then break those down by rig, skeleton and musculature and label each.

Here's what I came up with:

Armour Studies & Material Spheres

I decided to spend some of my spare time the last few weeks doing some armour studies. This had initially started as just a bit of practice on the side, but after some really positive feedback and some requests for a tutorial I ended up making an entire collection of texture spheres and cleaned up a lot of the studies so people could better understand how to paint these types of things too.


Firstly we have the finished studies themselves. I had tried gathering a few different types of armour specifically to understand both their design, and their material properties, so we have things from clean plate mail to tanned leather and rusted metal.








These took some time on their own, but I then decided to create material spheres for as select few textures.

For those of you who haven't come across material spheres before, they are used as a way of studying and showing how light works on various types of textures, it gives you all the variables of having a strong focal light, secondary ligh…