Skip to main content

Weekly Update #15: Teeth, Tongues and Trouble.

Sadly, this week started off with a lot of issues. After spending much of my time sculpting the monster in Alpha I found there were several issues when rendering out this monster back into Maya. It's all well and good having a sculpted creature is Zbrush, but without a way for the animators to utilize it, it'll be essentially useless.
After some experimenting inside Metal Ray I found the displacement maps I had been exporting didn't react in the way I was expecting when applied to the low poly OBJ in Maya.
Some tweaking of the settings resulted in closer results, but still. it's a far way away from this:
I decided to leave this section for now as I was getting nowhere. I thought it best to simply stop and move on to another part of the project whilst I waited to talk to those who may know something more about my issue than I. I began working on features I hadn't yet sculpted or exported. Namely the teeth, tongue and eyelids.
This may not look like much, but this character now has a whole world inside its head it didn't have last week:
This is another part of this project I'm relatively new to. I hadn't yet worked on details inside the mouth. Frankly the close proximity of so many objects worried me, I didn't want any undue clipping, and without any experience I found myself running on guess work and trying to remember what I had seen in games before. In the end I wound up with objects like these:
With the short time limit I simply decided to take those objects and reshape them for our female character too. Saves time and doesn't look half bad either.
Luckily, by the time I finished these objects, I had wound up finding the correct settings and rendering our objects correctly in Arnold too!
This week also saw the end of my daily sketches. I had wanted to carry on with them, but with production on Alpha going from a stage where I knew exactly what I was doing, to toying around with various programs and renderers, I found my time being eaten away and soon I didn't even have a spare hour to draw creatures. I'll post the last few up, and now production on Alpha begins to get intense.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Monster Hunter Design - Oryctomus (Creature)

So recently I had spent some time asking for portfolio reviews. One criticism I had was that not much of my designs seemed clean enough for modellers to use. I was guided towards the Monster Hunter artbooks (ones I already owned a loved), and was told they had very good examples of clean work, and excellent design.

With this I decided to kill several birds with one stone. Getting clean work, turnarounds, and also one character and creature design out of it. For this post however I'll be focusing mostly on the creature, as before you can build the armour for Monster Hunter, you must have a monster to carve its hide from. (If you want to skip this and go to the armour however, just click the following link: Oryctomus Armour)

I began by sketching down some general shapes for the monster. My original idea was to have a more mammalian design, as much of the creature in Monster Hunter are typically Reptilian. Perhaps something along the lines of an Aardvark or Anteater.


Once I had a …

Armour Studies & Material Spheres

I decided to spend some of my spare time the last few weeks doing some armour studies. This had initially started as just a bit of practice on the side, but after some really positive feedback and some requests for a tutorial I ended up making an entire collection of texture spheres and cleaned up a lot of the studies so people could better understand how to paint these types of things too.


Firstly we have the finished studies themselves. I had tried gathering a few different types of armour specifically to understand both their design, and their material properties, so we have things from clean plate mail to tanned leather and rusted metal.








These took some time on their own, but I then decided to create material spheres for as select few textures.

For those of you who haven't come across material spheres before, they are used as a way of studying and showing how light works on various types of textures, it gives you all the variables of having a strong focal light, secondary ligh…

Monster Hunter Design - Oryctomus (Armour)

Following on from the previous post about my recent Monster Hunter design (which can be found here: Oryctomus Design), I'll be focusing this post on the armour made from this creatures hide.



The armours in Monster Hunter take on the characteristics of the monster they're created from. Some are more obvious than others in their designs, but each either feature some design element from the monster itself, or a representation of how that monster attacks. The armours also come in two variations, Blademaster and Gunner.

Blademaster is heavier armour, used for high defense, and almost always looks sturdier than the Gunner variation.

The Gunner variation uses more stylistic aspects and often has weaker armour, used mostly for long range characters who'd rather not get up close and personal with a monster.

I began sketching designs for both gunner and blademaster variations, both male and female.





As you can see, the focal point I had used for these designs was the Oryctomus' s…